Earrings play an important role in the past world.
Upon being born into this world, royal children of many kingdoms are given a special earring from the Church, said to be embedded with unique magic.
The design, gem, color and shape is decided by His Holiness, Pope, after hearing out about the circumstances surrounding the birth of each child from a bishop, who visits a newborn to give them a blessing. Each of those elements have its own meaning and when combined, they work as a prayer for the child, wishing upon it "mayest thou...". The meaning behind it is a restricted information.
If a royal child is born sickly, it symbolizes "mayest thou be healthy".
If it's a first born son in a kingdom with a lot of droughts, it symbolizes "mayest thou be blessed by heavens".
Making the set of earrings takes some time and when they are done, they are sent from the papacy. It is a custom every royal wears two earrings, one in each ear. The same earrings as theirs are bestowed to followers who sworn loyalty to their liege and members of staff assigned to them, as a symbol of their allegiance. Followers wear one earring in the left ear only.
Zerestria Royal Family
|Late King||---||Triangular in shape, with a handle attached to its base.|
|Crown Prince||Alois||Oval in shape, with some light-colored gem embedded inside a frame.|
|2nd Prince||Rolan||Three small odd-shaped dark-colored gems, lined up vertically.|
|1st Princess||Veronica||Round-shaped, deep red gem, with some fancy leaf-like golden hook.|
Moswick Royal Family
|Crown Prince||Evan||Three flat round light-colored gems, shaped vertically.|
|2nd Prince||Ishmael||Rhombus-shaped and light-colored gem.|
|3rd Prince||Eugene||In a shape of a long gem, that looks like an icicle or dagger. Colored from silverish to slate blue, depending on a light.|
|4th Prince||Walter||Large, round, light-colored gem.|
The Church members also wear an earring, only one in the left ear. It looks like bishops don't wear any.
|Bishops||They wear no earring.|
|Priest & priestess||Light blue-colored, embedded in half moon golden frame.|
- after Walter's death, Eugene seemed to always carry his younger brother's earring with him, attached to either his belt or hilt of his sword.
- Veronica's earring worked as an entry pass to the secret underground room and thus, her people were hunted down by the invading forces in order to steal those earrings.
- Glen Schreiber lacked his liege's earring as it got hooked on a branch during his first day in Reinsberg Castle and he never found it back, nor the Church was able to made another one for him.
- it is not confirmed whether the triangular earring is indeed late Kings of Zerestia, but it was as far only seen wore by late King's commanders: Thornton Alphard and Frederick Belbania, who were his supporters.
- royals wear their earrings all the time, but they may remove them when they are visiting towns incognico or when they are travelling for a long time.